Thursday, August 5, 2010

Day 42: Today walk barefoot on grass

Day 42: Today walk barefoot on grass

Grass was well-known amongst Indian shamans for its soothing anti-ulcerative properties. When a papoose was sickly, the shaman would lay him down on a grass bank and sprinkle him with dew from the bark of a Great Conifer Tree, for 5 days and 5 nights (at least). Today grass is widely available of course in parks, gardens and the like. The current theory is that the leaves contain herbacinum, a derivative of morphine, which >>rubs off<<>>relaxing<<>

Leaves of Grass
A child said, What is the grass? Fetching it to me with full hands;
How could I answer the child? I do now know what it is, any more than he.

I guess it must be the flag of my disposition, out of hopeful green stuff woven.

Or I guess it is the handkerchief of the Lord,
A scented gift and remembrancer, designedly dropped,
Bearing the owner’s name someway in the corners, that we may see the remaker, and say Whose?
Or I guess the grass is itself a child, the produced babe of the vegetation.
Or I guess it is a uniform hieroglyphic,
And it means, Sprouting alike in broad zones and narrow zones,
Growing among black folks as among white,
Kanuck, Tuckahoe, Congressman, Cuff, I give them the same, I receive them the same.
And now it seems to me the beautiful uncut hair of graves.
(Walt Whitman)

I love being barefoot in the grass so this was an easy task. In NYC there is a lack of grass in my hood, and barefoot in the grass that is up here isn’t my jam. So, I did this when I was home on my parent’s soft carpet Virginia lawn. I took off my shoes on a dewy Sunday morning and took a little walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment